Lying on the main path between the Lower Campus, where most upperclassmen live, and McElroy Commons, a center of student activity, O'Neill Plaza is the crossroads of the University. This camera is mounted on the roof above the entrance to O'Neill Library, which was dedicated in 1984 with a speech on the plaza by its namesake, then-Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill, Jr. '36. Visible at the left, across the wide steps, is Devlin Hall, home of the McMullen Museum of Art, the undergraduate admission office, and the departments of fine arts and earth and environmental sciences. To the right is Gasson Hall, Boston College's signature structure and the first building to be erected (1913) on what had been a 36-acre gentleman's farm.
O'Neill Plaza underwent a thorough renovation in 2012 as part of a larger plan to expand and unify the green spaces on the middle campus. The plaza's brick and concrete paving and planters were replaced by flowering trees, shrubs, and a lawn.